Friday, January 15, 2010

Do squirrels get pregnant in the fall?

I have this tall nut tree in my front yard and there is a black squirrel I called HEY HEY who lives in the tree hole up on top. The last few times when she came down to get her walnut treats from me, her teats seem to be swollen, so I was wondering if she's either nursing or pregnantDo squirrels get pregnant in the fall?
Yes they do.I live in Ohio,and the Gray squirrels have babies from February through September.I have a few nursing mothers right now,who come to my feeders everyday.





http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/a_closer_lo鈥?/a>Do squirrels get pregnant in the fall?
'; When do squirrels mate?





Squirrels mate in the late Winter or very early Spring. This time may vary with location, and the weather conditions. The best time to see a squirrel's acrobatic skill is, during the ';mating chase';.





When are the babies born, and why don't we see them?





Baby squirrels are born in the spring, without fur. They're blind, and weigh in at one or two ounces each. There are usually four in a liter. The mother will keep the young in the nest and nurse them until they're ready to venture out of the nest, on their own. This is usually in eight to ten weeks. You may see a mother squirrel move her babies, she will carry them by mouth, one at a time.';
no, late winter to spring

No comments:

Post a Comment