Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Experience with squirrels?

Yesterday when I went into my backyard there were dozens of little patches of grass dug up.....no little scratch marks where I could identify the size of the claw....I know I have raccoons but they usually wash their hands in the cats water dish, so I see the mud settling in the bottom.....I do have an oak tree and saw some squirrels last year, does anyone know if they go around scratching trying to find their nuts? I know they bury them everywhere and never remember where they leave them.....Experience with squirrels?
Yes you are exactly right. Those tore up little holes are from them sticking their little paws into the earth and pulling it up to find treasures. I sit on the porch with my 22 and observe this everyday right before I shoot them. They cause extensive damage to wiring of vehicles to the tune of over 1500 dollars over the last 2 years. They sharpen their teeth on any vacuum line, electrical wire or whatever gets in their way as they safely tuck their treasures away under my hood.Experience with squirrels?
sounds like skunks the'll do that to find and eat grubs
Acorns are just starting to fall in my area. Maybe you had squirrels burying nuts instead of digging them.





JMB
I've seen them digging in the grass around my place.
It could be squirrels burying their food. I had something similar a few yrs back and found it was small white grubs and the bare patches were from birds trying to get at them. if you dig up some soil and find more than 50 grubs with-in a sq ft of soil you have an infestation I counted over 200 grubs in a square ft of soil about 50 per shovel full
Squirrels do dig for nuts and bulbs where ever they think they wiil be found. They don't usually leave any identifiable claw marks unless the ground is damp and clayey enough to hold them. I paticularly love walking across the yard barefoot to find the remains of pinecones that they have chewed up. LOL
Crawl up in a tree and act like a nut, you'll soon be able to tell how many squirrels you might be dealing with.

No comments:

Post a Comment