Friday, January 15, 2010

Why do people hunt squirrels?

First off, I'm not passing judgment on it, so hold the insults.





I've read about people who hunt squirrels for various reasons other than for food. Some people call them tree rats, some people don't like them on their property, some people just hate them, some people are so incensed by their presence that they must kill them at every opportunity.





What I want to know is, what is the purpose of killing these animals? Is it for fun? Is it because they carry disease? Is it because they cause car accidents? ??Why do people hunt squirrels?
Why do people climb mountains, believe in God, work their whole lives just to die, go see movies, ride bikes, or eat cheese?





The reason is that humans are incredibly fascinating creatures that are capable of many rational and irrational behaviors and thoughts.





Hunting is a great pasttime that is a different experience for each individual hunter.Why do people hunt squirrels?
I hunt them for the same reason I hunt any other animal- for food and pest control.





I don't need to explain the ones I hunt for food. For pest control, a lot of the animals I hunt carry diseases like rabies and other dangerous diseases. I have 3 dogs and a cat, yes, they all are up to date with their vaccinations, but I still don't want to take that chance. Besides, I doubt all of us here have taken a rabies vaccination, and yes, people can get rabies.


I also kill them because they are pests- they've chewed thru a power line and that cost a good bit of money.


Squirrels also carry other diseases which can be transmitted to my pets and me. (that's why you hunt them when they are in season)





One reason why they are called tree rats is because they are known for diseases like rats are.








Dirtbike MANIAC!!!!


It doesn't take a ton of skill. Most kids start out squirrel hunting.
Some people hunt squirrels just for the pleasure of seeing a trophy on their wall. also most beginner trophy hunters start out shooting small game such as squirrels, rats, rabbits, and other virus types of rodents. Before moving on to larger game. and yes many hunters enjoy hunting as well as cleaning then eating them.
I've hunted one squirrel in my life and it was during a 2 week field exercise while in the Army. I beat it with a tree branch, skinned it, gutted it, stuck it on a spit, and roasted it over a fire. It was delicious compared to the MREs we had been eating for a week straight. It tasted like dark meat turkey.
Well they don't cause car accidents that often but the other two reasons are valid. I try to what I kill for the most part and so do most hunters. A lot of people just shoot them to practice shooting bigger things.
Well I hunt squirrels, the reason I do is to eat them. And It Is also fun. I know alot of other people that hunt them also and they do It for the same reasons i do.
If god didn't want us to hunt and eat squirrels, they wouldn't be made of such tasty meat.





Beverly


http://www.crazybeverly.com
Never heard of a squirrel causing a car accident.. only a moron would swerve to avoid one.





I hunt them for food.








Some people dont like squirrel/rabbit in their yards because they bring in fleas and drop ticks.
pretty much all of the above they are nuisance animals and it takes skill to hunt them because they are so fast another thing u can get from squirrels is tails and they are fun hunting, so you can help the habitat while having fun.
well personaly i dont hunt unless i will eat it but i think many people kill for the fun. squrles are easyy to hunt and shoot. i dont know why people do things like that but those are the people that give hunting a bad name
A lot of ';old timers'; hunted squirrels because the tails were worth money. You can still sell the tails but they aren't worth much
The people I know that kill them do it to eat them.





And, only a true tree hugging hippie would let a squirrel cause a car accident.
grey squirrels carry a disease that has little effect on them but are killing our native (and protected) red squirrels to near extiction. they also kill trees on the plant nursery i work at.
it is fun but i kill them because their pests.
pest control


fun


tasty
i eat them tree hugger.
Sadly, there are people who hunt squirrels, coyotes, groundhogs, and prairie dogs, among other animals, simply for the thrill of killing. This gives true hunters a bad name.


Some others will shoot squirrels that are raiding their bird feeders, and I don't have as much of a problem with that, but why not eat them once you kill them? No squirrel tastes better than one that's been fattened up on sunflower seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment