Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Why don't squirrels interact with humans?

I see squirrel running all around, by my house but they never interact with human. that is one animal that NEVER seem to want to be around people. why are squirrel scared so much. what happen if you try to get them to interact with people (throw peanuts at them for food). are squirrel dangerous? what family are they in usually.Why don't squirrels interact with humans?
They're much too squirrely.





Seriously, though, many small wild animals will not, especially those that are preyed upon by larger animals. The prey animals get ';wilder'; through evolution because those that flee anything suspicious are usually more likely to survive. You'd think that in time, they'd learn to trust you, but you're up against millions of years of their evolution %26amp; instinct.





Animals that grew up in environments with no predators tend to be very tame in comparison. The dodo was an example of this. And they were labelled dumb, because you could basically walk up to them and club them over the head. And look where they are now.Why don't squirrels interact with humans?
Because they're smart!
Squirrels are in the family Sciuridae. Not just ';usually,'; its a fact and the family they are in doesn't change.





A lot of squirrels run away from people because squirrels are a small prey animal. A lot of people (especially kids) try to chase them and a lot of people walk their dogs who try to get the squirrels. And throwing objects at squirrels, food or not, will scare them off as they won't know what is coming at them.





They are only dangerous if that individual happens to have a disease that can affect humans and you get bit by it.
By nature, squirrels and other small animals, associate bigger animals with DANGER. However, in highly populated areas such as DC (I live very close) squirrels associate humans with food because so many people feed them. When you go there, the squirrels will let you approach them (to a certain extent).
too much pride
I have a few different bunches of them I feed during my coffee and lunch in the park along the lakefront and they walk right up to me. They're smart...they even recognize my car and have run across the parking lot to me if I deviate from my usual spot (for that bunch!). I feed then unsalted peanuts, and other nuts when I can afford it.
You should visit the squirrels in London, they like to run up peoples legs! They look cute until they start running toward you!

No comments:

Post a Comment